Wednesday, October 30, 2013

International Travel with a Toddler

What I learned from traveling to Switzerland with my 2 year old:

For the long flights/train rides:
  1. Child sized head phones + iPod: Load that iPod up with favorite TV shows, songs, and pictures of family. This was the most valuable toy during the trip.
  2. Magna-doodle: Inga loves to draw, but crayons get lost too easily.
  3. New books: New books are more interesting to read over and over again.
For carrying stuff:
  1. Child sized backpack: Inga has a Northface backpack so she could carry her own toys. Yes, I ended up carrying this more often than Inga, but it was better than her rummaging through my purse for Mickey.
  2. Ergobaby Carrier: This is the only carrier you need. There is no metal frame so it can be packed in a suitcase or backpack. It is also super comfortable. I never fly without it.
  3. Rolling suitcases: These are easiest to take through the airport/train station when you have a child on your back. Just don't take too many. We brought 3 suitcases and only needed 2.
For going potty:
  1. Bring your cheap US diapers. Disposable diapers in Switzerland are expensive. We packed all the diapers we needed for the trip. Best part is you free up more suitcase room for souvenirs as the trip progresses!
  2. Public restrooms do not have changing tables, not even women's restrooms. The only place I saw changing tables were the berghauses. 
For eating:
  1. Bring some favorite snacks from home for those difficult days. I brought Nutragrain bars for Inga (aka Jammies) because they are her go-to snack food. I never did find something similar so I am glad I had an emergency stash.
  2. Go to the grocery store. Buy snacks and PB&J fixings. Switzerland doesn't have the explosion of fast casual restaurants the US does and restaurants are expensive anyway. Buy yourself sandwich fixings, too, because the restaurants are expensive. 
I highly recommend picking a home base and renting an apartment. In Meurren, we had separate rooms so we didn't have to go to bed at 8pm. There was also a kitchen for making meals, which is a money saver and more relaxing. 

Finally, adjust your expectations to a slower pace. You will not go as many places or see as many museums. We did, however, talk to way more Swiss than I expected because we visited playgrounds and talked to other parents just like you do at a US playground. Inga helped us have more of those cultural experiences that many international travelers are looking for (well, at least I am looking for).
Stopping to observe the rushing water. She sees the wonder in things I have learned to ignore.
As my father-in-law says, "If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right."

2 comments:

  1. love this! We're already planning how we're going to fly with William this spring....

    ReplyDelete
  2. On one of our flights, there was a mother flying with her two toddlers to Italy to meet up their father. I was impressed.

    ReplyDelete