Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hanney-Twomey Wedding and Baby Petrie

Last weekend we made the journey to Detroit to see our college friends, Megan Hanney and Johnfrancis Twomey, get married. The trip began rather oddly because our car was in the shop the entire week for really annoying warranty work. The dealership didn't even fix the problem all the way. We had an '05 Jetta loaner car during the week, but since we were giving Lydia and Emrys a ride it would have been a really tight squeeze. So, we headed into Columbus Friday after work to pick up the Jetta Wagon. From there we went to Cleveland to pick up Emrys and finally headed to Detroit.

The wedding ceremony was early Saturday afternoon in a very beautiful church, the Assumption Grotto Catholic Church. From the pictures it looks like the perfect place to have a wedding, but it is also in one of the worst neighborhoods in Detroit. I can now say I have been to that part of 8 Mile Rd Eminem was always talking about. Other than the surrounding neighborhood, the church was amazing. The wedding was in Latin so I pretty much tuned out the whole time. I could have followed along in the missal, but that would have just gotten me even more worked up. I did have fun looking through the hymnal and finding lots of Charles Wesley hymns.

There was a good 2 1/2 hours between the wedding and the reception, so all of us Hillsdale folks found a really great bar near the reception site. The bar had a few locals watching football, but they were all nice people. The drinks were really cheap, too. I think we really made the bar tender's day with all the drinks we bought and the tips we left.

The reception was your classic Catholic party with lots of food and an open bar. Everyone was very well behaved despite the free flowing alcohol. It was a very fun, light hearted party and I really enjoyed catching up with friends and dancing. (The photos were taken on Sam's phone so the quality isn't great.)
The happy couple
Getting crazy!
Since we needed to drop Emrys off in Cleveland, we took the opportunity to visit the newest member of the Petrie family, Laila. Sarah and Stephen have a beautiful little girl. She looks like the perfect doll you had as a girl. After all my nephews, I was shocked at how small she is. They have a lovely little family.
This is just the beginning of my crazy October. Next weekend, I'm off to Portland, OR to visit my cousin, Becky.

No comments:

Post a Comment