Friday, October 7, 2011

Checking in with the doctor

Ingrid went in for her 1 month check-up on Monday. (Yes, a week late because our doctor needed a vacation the week before. Weird.)

Weight: 10 lbs 14 oz
Length: 22 in
Percentile: ~80%

That's my big girl!

She almost had a total blow out for the doctor. However, I intervened to do a quick diaper change and avoid a very messy girl.

I was so happy to go back to our regular family doctor after all the pediatricians at the hospital. It's not that I am opposed to vaccination, but I am very tired of pediatricians acting like I am an abusive parent for not wanting to follow all their recommendations. Plus, the only people in our doctor's waiting room are retirees with a chronic illness. The kids at a pediatrician's office are very likely to have whatever contagious illness is going around school.

Another reason I'm leery of vaccine recommendations: the Pharma Lobby.

3 comments:

  1. I think there's a wide variety in the medical profession on vaccination flexibility. I asked mommies around me in Maryland for an alt-schedule friendly pediatrician, and through them found a great one without hordes of sick kids in the waiting room. Our new pediatrician here in Fort Wayne actually suggested the spread-out CDC schedule for infant vaccines (rather than the usual schedule, which does more at once), and we took him up on it just because we thought it might be easier on the tyke's immune system.

    Most of the infant vaccines are not like Gardasil, being designed to (and extremely successful at) prevent childhood diseases that used to kill hundreds of thousands of kids. The reality of polio and MMR were lobby enough for parents to adopt those vaccines happily.

    I would put Gardasil in another category, personally, especially since my stance on the cervical cancer likely from young, premarital sex will be, "Well, honey, you're not allowed to have sex at 13 anyway."

    At any rate, any time Ransom visits vaccines mean will not infect your little person.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know not all pediatricians are militant vaccination schedulers, but we don't have much choice around here. One pediatrician told us she wouldn't take Ingrid as a patient unless we agreed to do all the vaccinations (she was willing to delay the schedule). Well, I'm just not going to do all the vaccinations (chicken pox, really?). So I was just happy to go back to our regular doctor who has a very different approach. She sees most of the Wiley clan and is used to our quirky family.

    But, thank you for allowing me to rely on herd immunity! :-)

    ReplyDelete